Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sensory Processing Disorder and the Little Booger

(Trey is 2 years 10 months old)

While watching "Little Einsteins" Friday morning, I noticed Trey kept messing with his nose.  Finger in.. finger out.. finger back in.  After a few minutes of this, he pulls out a little boogie on the tip of his finger.  He looked at it for a second.. and before I could process the possibility of him actually doing what most 2 year olds would do.. Pop! In the mouth it went!

What??!!  Oh my gosh... Trey is eating a booger!!  But it's squishy!  (I am quiet while I see Trey chew it for a second)  I can't believe he put it in his mouth!!  It's so grosssss... yet, I was proud at that moment.  Good job, little man!!  Way to take a risk and try something completely different texture-wise!! (I see him make a face.. I am still quiet.  The face is of complete disgust.)  Uh oh.. I think it's down.  He ate it... grossssss!  Yet, maybe this means he will be open to try new things?!  Maybe he might try noodles, or grapes, or.. *gasp* applesauce.  That would be amazing!  He always gags when you try to give him applesauce.  He gags when he sees someone eat applesauce.


Along with the Autism, Trey has SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder).  I have talked about his stimming in another post, but along with that he is a very picky eater and does not tolerate certain textures at all!  Over the last 5 months, his Occupational Therapist has tried to introduce new foods with different textures.  But this is one area he has made zero progress.  We hope that working with getting him to touch more and more different textures (like finger painting, play-doh, etc.) will hopefully lead to eating.

http://www.facebook.com/ALegionForLiam
So you see my shock of somewhat pure joy when the little boogie went into his mouth!!  Woohoo!! Progress.. right?!

Me and my baby boy
Then with his facial expression still showing complete disgust, he walks over to me calmly.  Grabs my hand.  Then he proceeds to open his mouth wide and force my hand into his mouth.  If he could talk he would have said "Get the boogie out!"  So I wiped his mouth as best I could until he was content.

Yes, I think it was progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment