Monday, July 9, 2012

The ABC's of Our Life!

(Trey is 2 years and 10 months old)

Alphabets are everywhere in our house!  You can't walk into a room without either stepping on a letter or seeing them stuck on the walls.  I guess you could say we have encouraged Trey's ABC obsession.. but how could we not?  He has alphabet magnets, puzzles, bath toys, blocks, apps on our phones, books, flash cards, stickers on his wall, etc..

Trey loves them all!  He is learning to spell and read.  I also really believe his language has improved too because of them.  He spoke no words for the longest time.. only letters.  Now he is starting to say the words he sees.  It's exciting to see from week to week how much he learns!




The ABC obsession has affected the entire family too.  I am often caught singing the "ABC" song randomly around the house... both classic and "Super Why" versions.  Sometimes long after Trey has been put to bed, I find Daddy intently watching Alpha Pig on T.V. (It's true.. don't deny it, honey)

One of Trey's new words
The other morning my daughter Megan came out of her room to a family room completely covered in plastic alphabet letters.. half asleep, she stepped on a couple. "Ow! I'm so sick of the alphabet!" I just gasped at thought she would say such a thing!  Then Trey yells out the letters she had stepped on... "E!... Y!"  We all just started laughing!

Uncle "Cooey" (as Trey calls Daddy's brother Cody) who has only been living with us for a couple weeks, knows all the alphabet songs and is an expert at putting together the big alphabet train puzzle... over, and over, and over.


Trey and Uncle "Cooey"
I know this is a phase and it will one day pass.. but right now I love it.  With all Trey struggles with as far as communication and sensory and all things Autism, I get so much joy watching him completely  happy with his letters!

Learning sight words with help from Meg!
So proud of his words!!


2 comments:

  1. It is so nice when our kids obsessions are actually good for them. Reading will open his world up and loving letters will get him there very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I came across your blog from a group member of the hyperlexia forum I belong to on facebook. Your son sounds a lot like my 6 year old Jimmy, who is also on the Autism spectrum. I believe my son is hyperlexic (never had him officially tested). Jimmy has always been facinated with letters and numbers, long before he could talk. He still is. He has been able read anything you put in front of him since the age of 4. I guess I my point in responding to this post is to let you know there are others like your son out there :) Sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone.

    Below is a link to the group on facebook. It is a closed group so you need to request to join. I think you would find it very helpful :)

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/54414454685/

    ReplyDelete