"Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes things more acceptable for a while" - Unknown
My posts are serious and sentimental. Yes, I get overwhelmed and stressed. It's great therapy for me to write about what we are experiencing and what we question on this sometimes frightening journey with our Autistic son. I know you all can relate.
But there is also a whole lot of silliness going on in this house!! We laugh... a lot. So I thought I would share a few examples what makes us do in the Conner household:
- NICKNAMES (just to list a few)
- Spanky McNuggets
- Sexy Man (we even have a little song we sing for this one that Trey has loved hearing since he was an infant.. no, we aren't worried about his ego)
- Stinky McStinkypants
- Megan (big sis)
- Simon (the dog)
- Simone - with a French accent
- Big "S" in da house!
- Sh*tbrick (Daddy says he means it affectionately)
- Simple Simon
- "Can't say I've ever been woken at 6:30 in the morning to do a puzzle before. This is a first." (Daddy says as he walks down the hall half asleep being pulled by Trey to his puzzle after screaming at Daddy's bedside for him to get up)
- Trey farts
- "What's he chewing on...a chicken nugget?! Where did he get it?! Wait, it's just an alphabet magnet."
- "He's chewing on an alphabet magnet!!! Get him!!!"
- Simon farts
- "Uh oh...he just pooped in the tub!" (I yell as Daddy suddenly does his gagging-cough-about-to-puke sound from the other room)
- "Babe! Really? Do you want his first word to be "Sh*tbrick"?!" (Trey starts giggling.. I think he totally understood)
- "Did the baby poop today?" "Yes and his turd wasn't that big." "Good...did the dog poop?" "Yes...I need to poop now" "LOL! Wait...did I poop?" (This is what we text about now...not that sexy)
When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out.~Erma Bombeck
- FAVORITE FUNNY T.V. SHOWS (pretty much our only entertainment source)
- Modern Family
- Raising Hope
- Hoarders (ok, it's not that funny... but it's entertaining!)
- My Strange Addiction (now this is funny stuff!)
- America's Funniest Home Videos - a true classic!
- King of Queens
- Up All Night
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Family Guy (watch my my fav clip below)
- Wife Swap
- My Name is Earl
- Two and a Half Men (before Charlie Sheen left)
- Betty White's "Off Their Rockers"
So as the saying goes, "laughter is the best medicine", is certainly true for us. David and I both have a silly sense of humor which was a big part of why I fell in love with him. I love seeing the same in Trey!
Oh... and let me finish by saying that T.V. is not our only entertainment source... Spanky, Schmegan, and Simple Simon are by leaps and bounds!! :)
In spite of the six thousand manuals on child raising in the bookstores,
child raising is still a dark continent and no one really knows anything.
You just need a lot of love and luck- and, of course, courage.